Wednesday, August 29, 2012

THE ONE WITH WEDDING PLANNING

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Well. I always knew weddings were stressful but lately I’ve come to realise the extent of the stress as the months trickle down to single digit numbers until our wedding in May. Eek.

The first initial buzz of wedding planning has worn off and I now approach it with a checklist plus quick and accurate decisions. I’ve given up on the hours and hours of research into twelve different DJs and the what they each offer. I’m simply a “find one and book it” kind of girl these days.

I couldn’t have been any luckier in the fact that most of my friends are married (or are almost married) and therefore they’re passing on their words of wisdom and believe me, I’m taking every bit of it onboard. It’s fascinating to observe the girls and how each of them organise and plan their wedding days. And I’m loving the fact that every one of my friends have planned weddings that differ so much from one another. It’s lovely to see their personalities shine through.

One of my dearest friends Anna, who I will always refer to as Huffy even though she is now a Porter, has been dishing me out loads of advice. I’ve known Anna for five years after she started working with us when she moved from New Zealand to Melbourne. She is one of those people that you just fall in love with instantly because she is completely outrageous and hilarious. And you can never get annoyed with her because the soft spot for Anna is just…well…ever so soft! 

Anna married her husband Ben at a gorgeous winery in Adelaide on a perfectly  glorious day. She couldn't have asked for anything more perfect really.  We've been chatting about weddings lately and I’ve told Anna that I’m nervous that the wedding planning could turn stressful (I’m stressed about getting stressed! Ridiculous) and she passed on some little gems of wisdom to me that have actually made me remember not to get caught up in the small things that really don't matter (i.e. the font used on the menus, the spacing between each table at the reception, to decorate or not decorate the church gates).

"Just do what YOU want, don’t listen to other people. It’s not about anyone else but you. Enjoy that. It’s a huge achievement being able to say you did it yourself, and it’s a great start to your life together knowing you can set goals and achieve them together"

"Honestly I got so stressed out and angry, and if I had of just ignored everyone else the whole experience would have been far more enjoyable. AND FOR GODS SAKE, it is NOT your job to entertain people when they get to NYC, do your own thing with your family but people are on holiday, so don’t feel obliged to entertain them for the duration. I felt like when people came over from NZ I had to look after everyone (which no one expected at all, I just felt like that). This is why I forgot my toothbrush, hair extensions and wedding shoes when I got to the hotel the night before. I ended up sleeping in my bridesmaids Qantas PJs she’d been given when they had lost her luggage. When I realised I had forgotten my tooth brush I locked myself in the toilet and called Ben in tears ahahhahahaha"

"To me getting married is about the life ahead of you, not the one day. I just took the attitude that I would rather focus on that than micro manage every little part of the day itself.
I got so stressed throughout the whole process that I ended up crying a couple of times. Then I just decided this was about Ben and I. No one else. And everything was better when I realised that"

After all of this, Anna told me she had posted her RSVP card in the mail and so now i'll be hanging out by my letterbox all week waiting to receive it all the way from Adelaide because I think it might be my first RSVP. And an RSVP 'yes' at that. It means so much to me that wee Anna will be at our wedding. After all, she was there when I first met Ryan. Bless.  

Love to you all, 

No comments:

Post a Comment